logotype
  • image1 Eleganza, confort e serenità.
  • image2 Storia, tradizione e poesia.
  • image3 Relax assoluto.
  • image3 Contatto autentico con la natura.
  • image3 Nella splendida cornice del Parco Nazionale del Pollino.

Our history


The Palazzo De Filpo, were ourfacilities are located, was erected in the second half of the 18thcentury, by the grandfather of the Senator Vincenzo De Filpo, who successfully practiced grain trade and pigs rearing. The Palace is located in the heart of the historical center of Viggianello, and is spread over four floors, which can be accessed from CorsoSenatore De Filpo, by the use of an elevator, or on foot from the picturesque San Biase street. Climbing further on the same way one reaches the castle of the Princes ofSanseverino, andthe home of the famous DoctorCaporale, who,in pioneer times, when the cobalt-therapy was totally unknown,treated successfully some external tumors. A son of Mussolini is said to have been among those treated by this distinguished clinician.

The structure was further expanded by Luigi De Filpo(1802-1863) ,the father of the Senator, a lawyer andfervent patriot, who was affiliated to the secret society “La Carboneria” , and because of this,was subjected to control by the police. In 1860, LuigiDe Filposubscribed to the program of the “Comitatodell’Ordine” and participated in the insurrectionary riots.

Further architectural improvements to the house were made by Vincenzo De Filpo(1832-1900), the son of Luigi, and also a lawyer, known as “Il SenatoreGentiluomo” (The Gentleman Senator). In his early twenties, after the graduationfrom the Royal University of Naples, he was certified as professor of law. Like his father, he subscribed to the program of the “Comitatodell’Ordine” and participated in the insurrectionary riots.
For twenty years President of the Provincial Council of Basilicata and, for some time, the President of the Provincial Deputation, in 1892 he was selected to participate in the newly formed Senate of the Kingdom of Italy. This role wasconfirmed on Dec. 9 of the same year, and maintained until his death.

The Palace has been enriched with the well-known family chapel of San Luigi, particularly taken care of by the Archpriest Father Francesco De Filpo, a brother of the Senator, who was also in charge of representing the interests of the Holy See in the district of Lagonegro, aspapal Protonotary.

The beautiful church of Santa Caterina in the center of Viggianello, is still decorated with numerous works - made of high-quality marbles - and enriched by numerous oil paintings. These sculptures and paintingswere largely commissioned and realized by Father Francesco.

The following people, among others, have lived in the Palace:

1) CavaliereMinicuccio, another brother of the Senator, who in his youth, following the directives received from the office of the Royal Procuraof Naples, worked strenuouslyagainst the alarming phenomenon of local banditry. The basement, were the prisoners were temporarily guarded whileawaitingtransfer to theKing’s prisons, still remain intact.

2) The lawyerGiuseppe DeFilpo, son of Senator and, like him,long involved in politics and President Emeritus of the Provincial Council of Basilicata.
He made a memorable donation to the Province of Potenza: the so-called complex of the Santuario di Santa Maria dellaConsolazione in Rotonda, meant to be home to the largeProvincial Sanatorium and to fight thegreat evil of tuberculosis. This diseasehad also killed his 26-years-old son Vincenzo (who had distinguished himself during the 1915-1918 war). This complex is currentlyhome of part of the headquarters of the Ente Parco delPollino. (Pollino National Park)

 
3) Vincenzo De Filpo (1893-1921), a fervent nationalist, propagandist and supporter of the intervention in the world war.
In order to be enrolled, he wrote a letter to the Minister of War, forging the signature of his maternal grandfather, Senator Carmine Senise, and he was among the firsts to leave. Sent to the battlefield on the river Carso, he was always at the forefront.

He was awarded several mitary honours, including the Encomio Solenne Sovrano, Encomio Solenne del Corpo d’Armata,Encomio Solenne del Comando Supremo, Medaglia di Bronzo al Valore, and twice theCroce al Merito di Guerra. Moreover, he was also Tenente del Genio di Complemento and Osservatore del Pallone Frenato, and earned the public praise of Gabriele D'Annunzio, with the famous dedication of exhortation: "Che ti dice la patria? Tieniduro” ("What does your Homeland tell you? Hold on”).

Wounded by the Austrian army and then affected during service by nephritis a frigore, he played delicate tasks to the ComandoSupremo. The General Luigi Cadorna, with a note dated April 21, 1923, encouraged his father Giuseppe to publish his diary, for "the precious testimony" contained therein, which "help to create the true history."

4) Luigi De Filpo (1898-1950), lawyer , journalist, philosopher, historian, participated in the two world wars: during the first with the rank of Captain Observer and during the second at the side of the partisan groups.
He was Deputy Secretary of the Italian Constituent Assembly and then Secretary to the Ministry of the Posts, as well as that of Agriculture and Forestry, on behalf of the Communist Party, led by Palmiro Togliatti, his very close friend, from whom he received great esteem and public recognition.

Today the building has been deliciously renovated, thanks to the successful restoration of the original style architecture and interiors. All the materials found have been reused at best, and integrated with the comfort offered by the current technology.

B&B Agriturismi Hotel
2019  © La Dimora Antica - P.IVA: 00762540763 - info@ladimorantica.com - Tel: 0973 664169 - mobile: 349 5825572 Viggianello(PZ)